Sunday, October 19, 2014

Dearly Departed.....Celebrating my book signing

I am thrilled to have two local opportunities to sign my newly released print book this coming weekend.  To celebrate, I am going to put a short sample of my book for everyone to read and enjoy.

Today is Dearly Departed, the first in the Grave Reminders series.


I traced a single finger down the windowpane and watched as a mark of clear glass appeared in the fog, beads of moisture clinging to the glass.  The silence of the house was broken by the creak of time in the old timbers of the pitched roof, and the steady drip, drip, drip of the bathroom faucet down the hall.  The night outside was rapidly cooling; inconsistent fall weather going from a pleasant mid-seventies to the forties in a matter of hours.  My breath made another oval of misty white against the nights darkness.  I pressed slightly closer to the glass, the window's mirror image of my room disappearing as I focused beyond the glass.

Outside, the graveyard was largely unlit, partially to dissuade more timid visitors after sunset, but more out of respect for the neighborhood homes crowded like concerned aunts around the parameter of the grounds.  The regular inhabitants of the yard, under their snug carpet of soil and lawn, cared little for light or dark.  Under the protective limbs of oaks and maples, their leaves burned gold, orange, and rosy red, the grave stones cast moonlit shadows on the ground.  Amid the steady swaying of the trees, a pale figure passed silently.

            Youre here again, I said.  I pulled the thick material of my sweatshirt over the heel of my hand and wiped a wide swath of moisture from the pane.  The view cleared, snatching reality from the ghostly blur. My second story window gave me an excellent view over the four foot creek stone wall into the adjoining cemetery.  This was my opportunity for the nightly viewing of assorted activities that took place in one of the countys oldest monuments.

            Visitors, even late night ones, were not so unusual.  Id been the silent guardian for a long time, spying through my curtains for almost 15 years, after my parents had chosen to move to the historic little town when I was just two.  Since then, I had knelt in childhood curiosity, my knees padded with the skirts of my long flannel gowns, and all that time I had felt somehow privileged to be the protector of those even more vulnerable than myself.  But this visitor was different.  He made me watch.  For two weeks straight I had seen him here, walking slowly and deliberately through the grounds like an unsettled spirit.  His pattern was always the same, starting at the gated entrance where he appeared after vaulting over the stone wall and moving into the center circle.  From there he moved either right or left, sometimes disappearing into the damp shade of the oaks, sometimes behind the shelter of the chapel.  He was always in darkness, always clinging in the shadows as they caressed his figure, blending him and shielding him from probing eyes.  This was the first time he had stilled, and my breath caught as I watched through the damp glass.

            The window was fogging again as I leaned closer to watch the tall figure pause.  For a moment, I saw the pale oval of his face framed by paler hair worn too long.

            My indecision melted when I saw him raise one hand in a casual wave.  He had seen me.

            Alright, I muttered to myself.  Time to face up.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment