Friday, February 23, 2018

Some books are a must read!!


Everyone has their favorite authors, and I have had many over the years. Starting with the Trixie Belden books back in elementary school (yes, I am dating myself) up through the current selections from Dean Koontz and Jennifer McMahon, I have enjoyed reading as my primary form of entertainment. In my writing, I have gone through stages as well, devouring mysteries, science/fiction fantasy, romance, horror, and even jumped on the Twilight bandwagon for a bit! However, there are a few authors that have influenced my writing, especially for my most recent Raven Mysteries. They have spurred me in the idea of finding some familiar stories and well-loved characters and turning them on their ear!

I stumbled over the very talented Stacey Rourke when prowling for a new book to read. I love stories of the headless horseman, and a good spooky read is always fun for me. I found the Legends Saga with the first book, Crane. It was wonderful, and I quickly devoured that one, and subsequently the others in the set. I continue to read her books, eagerly waiting for the next release. I liked that she was able to take a great old classic and make it new and fresh.

To check out her books, check out the Amazon link!


The other author I have enjoyed reading these last several months is A. G. Howard. Her tale of a twisted Alice in Wonderland kept me looking for the next book in the series. I actually listened to the audiobook of the first novel, Splintered, the first in the Splintered series, and then had to seek out the rest. In her books, she takes the familiar characters and throws them into our reality before pulling us, the readers, into her own form of wonderland.



My own book, Midnight Dreary, originated through an interest in the works of Edgar Allen Poe. (In elementary school, I was learning to recite The Raven for fun). I chose some of the creepy aspects of his work, adding the characters of the raven and the names of some of my other personalities. I wanted to set the scene in an all American town, and then throw the town into crisis. My secondary character has traits that reflect a Sherlock Holmes type of investigation and intuitiveness. I wanted to contrast the two main characters to add a little tension, and yes, eventual romantic interest.

My release is tomorrow!

I encourage you to put these books on your list of 'to be reads'! You won't regret it (although you'll find it hard to put these books down!)






No comments:

Post a Comment