Sunday, November 8, 2015

Being an author

Everyone is different. I get that. And everyone's life runs in a different path. We all wear many hats, some more than others, and I have discovered that although all of our hats are not of our choosing, some we can pick.
I chose to be a Speech Therapist. It is my job, a full time one, and something that I love. I chose to be married, to be a mother, caretaker, leaf raker, house cleaner.
I was born to be a writer.
And for all of those who don't know the journey of a writer, well, it differs from person to person. We all have the passion in common. The love of a story, the richness of the written word.
For me, writing for now is not my primary job. I have to work outside the home to help pay the bills, to have benefits for my family, and for eventual retirement. Writing for me is my dream, tucked between work and dinner, after hours and on weekends.
So I generally am writing at least two books at one time, editing one, trying to promote one or two, and trying to go to signings and author events. My writing seems to permeate every piece of my of my life. I have ideas all the time. I'm fortunate in that I have never had true writer's block. When one topic fizzles, another pops. And when I can't think of what to say in one book, I just move to another and write on it.
At night, I dream in books, during the day I think in plots. I listen to dialogue for realism, I look at beauty in words.
I'm a writer. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment