Monday, September 22, 2014

Imaginarium......a writer's good time

Okay, so one day later I'm looking back at my first writer's conference, and let me tell you, it was great!!  I have lots of hats I wear these days: wife, mom, daughter, sister, friend, Speech/Language Pathologist, high school employee, and too often last on my list, writer.  It was so refreshing to see a whole group of people in my situation.  We are all struggling the constant pull on our time, juggling priorities like lead balls.  But we write because we love it, and when you need to write, you do.

I discovered that writers are like snowflakes, no two are the same.  Pretty great simile, right?  Oh, and they stick together to make a fabulous snowman. But they love to laugh, to mix and mingle, to share ideas, and to learn.  How cool is that!

This conference was a great opportunity to network.  I got to meet authors, editors, publishers, book cover artists, and other artists.  I got to shop for bunches of books, buy a few, write down the titles of others that I plan to buy in ebook form, and talk in panels.  Subjects ranged from Young Adult/New Adult and an author's responsibility when writing for kids, to mythical beasts/demons/angels that can add some originality and fun in your writing.

And I got to talk to people about my own interests, my dogs, my talking parrots, my family, and my work with special needs kids.  In the end, I realized that while we all are different, we all are the same in our love of the printed word.

Write on, my friends, write on!



No comments:

Post a Comment