Sunday, June 1, 2014

Summer escapes




The summer has officially started according to the weather forecasters, even if the school calendar doesn't agree.  Summer means hot, slow days, beach vacations, family time, and maybe a few books read that you've been putting off in the rush of the workweek.  For this month, I'd like to take the opportunity to give readers just a nugget, a taste of our writing styles, the sound of our voices, the bits of our characters that live in our minds, and when you join us for a read, will live in your minds as well.

To kick us off, I'm giving you a sample of the first book in my trilogy, Grave Reminders.

 http://www.amazon.com/Dearly-Departed-Reminders-Rachael-Rawlings-ebook/dp/B00GJ6NYH0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1401635347&sr=8-3&keywords=rachael+rawlings



            "And you?  Where will you go?  You won't stay?"
            "I'll see you safely inside.  Then I'll go."
            "You'll be back?"
            He nodded wordlessly and I watched, frozen, as he drew close to me.  Closer, I could see that his eyes were a very light color, but could not see the shade.  The scent of him, something like pine and soap, enveloped me momentarily as the wind caressed his figure.  He was tall, and I had to tip my head back to follow his expression.  One long fingered hand caught my elbow and followed my arm down to my wrist where he pulled my hand from my pocket.  He enveloped my freed hand in his gentle grasp, his skin surprisingly warm and dry.
            "Come on," his voice was soft, floating on the breeze, mixed with the waning fog.
            I followed. Did I have a choice?  I walked with him to the gate and through it into the fenced grounds of my home by the window where my parents usually slept, warm and sheltered in their first floor bedroom.
            The back door was still closed, but the screen was fluttering now with the wind that had revived like a slumbering creature.  The stranger paused at the foot of the porch stairs while Baxter anxiously skittered up, suddenly fearful of the coming rain.
            "I'll be seeing you."
            His hand released me, and I felt some emotion that was difficult to name.  Lonely?  Was that me; was it him?  I climbed the steps feeling clumsy without his light touch.  My fingers fumbled with the door latch, and I slipped into the shadowed house, my eyes never leaving his figure.  Baxter pushed in at my feet as I stood still in the doorway.
            He sketched a wave and turned away, the darkness coming eagerly to swallow him.
            I paused to lock the door, although I couldn't say why.  There were days and nights on end that the lock was never engaged.  I wasn't locking him out; maybe I was locking myself in.
            I climbed the steps with speed and entered my room, my jacket hanging loosely from my shoulders.  I went immediately to the window to look out, using my jacket sleeve to clear away the damp.

            He was there.  The rain was coming in fine sheets of cold, dampening his light hair and glittering off his pale skin.  When he tipped his face up to look into the glass, I could see his eyes.  Topaz? 

No comments:

Post a Comment